The Certified Special Events Professional (CSEP) designation is the only certification that signifies broad knowledge across all facets of the special events industry. It conveys credibility and a competitive edge when marketing or soliciting business. Preparation for and maintenance of the CSEP designation contributes to the industry's overall knowledge base, removes performance uncertainty for clients and opens market opportunities.
A Certified Special Event Professional candidate has an established career supporting the live events industry. They have invested time and energy in gaining a well-rounded and comprehensive understanding of the various event elements and have proven they can apply their experience and critical thinking to all facets of a live event, regardless of the role they play. They are not required to be a subject matter expert in all areas but should understand the event process well enough that, if needed, they would be able to assemble a team of event professionals, articulate a clear vision and manage that team to execute a successful event. If the candidate is not an event planner or producer, but rather a supplier or partner in the industry, the candidate should still be able to speak to all elements within an event with knowledge and understanding.
- Vested interest in maintaining a set of core competencies across the industry
- Broad breadth of knowledge and understanding of the event elements required to produce a successful live event
- Able to assemble and manage an event team
- Able to lead strategic conversations internally and externally with a general project and event management skill set and understanding of risk management best practices
- Uphold ILEA’s Standards of Professional Conduct and Ethics
- Sound understanding of the skills required to have strategic conversations at the management level and apply critical thinking to the full event process
PREPARING FOR THE EXAM
The CSEP Exam is now offered online only via Meazure for 365-days per year. Some blackout dates may apply. It consists of 115 multiple-choice questions. The time limit is 150 minutes.
*Applications take 10-15 business days to be reviewed, so we strongly encourage submitting applications well ahead of your desired test date. ILEA cannot control or guarantee the availability of desired attempt dates/times.
APPLICATION AND EXAM FEES
All Application and Exam fees are non-refundable.
- CSEP Application Fee: $350 (due with submission)
- CSEP Exam Fee: $350 per attempt (charged during scheduling process)
*Applications will be considered once a completed application is submitted and payment is processed/deposited.
CSEP Exam Application